Yankee girl in Arthur's court

You can't appreciate home till you've left it, money till it's spent, your wife till she's joined a woman's club, nor Old Glory till you see it hanging on a broomstick on the shanty of a consul in a foreign town. O. Henry Porter 1862-1910, American short-story Writer

Friday, May 20, 2005

In other words

The way British people word things often sounds poetic or old fashioned. Take for example, an incident that happened at playgroup yesterday. A little boy was given a balloon to celebrate his birthday this week. A while later, there was a loud bang, and one of the children asked "What that noise?" His mother calmly informed him that "the balloon burst". Not "the balloon popped" as I would have said, but burst... I used to work with a woman who didn't "bike"...she "cycled". And when she occasionally would have a flat tire (or tyre) as it is spelled here, she would describe it as a "puncture". Recently, I visited an English friend up the road with two small children. As I was leaving she was joking about some friend of hers who she referred to as "daft as a brush". Good thing Claire wasn't with me then, or we might both be rolling in the street...

1 Comments:

Blogger Claire said...

Ha haaa! I love it! That is so bizarre! How is a brush daft?

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter-----------------------------------------------------