Yankee girl in Arthur's court

You can't appreciate home till you've left it, money till it's spent, your wife till she's joined a woman's club, nor Old Glory till you see it hanging on a broomstick on the shanty of a consul in a foreign town. O. Henry Porter 1862-1910, American short-story Writer

Friday, May 27, 2005

English Springtime

Springime is breathtakingly beautiful here. The first signs of spring appear in January or February with green bulbs poking their heads through the ground. It may not be warm for a few more months, but you know spring's not far off. This time of year, there's something magical about looking out the window around dusk and seeing the golden yellow lights coming from the neighbor's houses. The other great thing about spring here is there are no insects (aside from the occasional fly or if you're unlucky---a yellow jacket) and you can leave the window open on a balmy day. Monday morning was a beautiful perfect sunny spring morning. I walked into town with Arthur after a friend generously offered to watch Lexie for a couple hours. I pushed the 'pram' down a tree lined pathway, feasting my eyes on every green leaf and flower, and breathing in the perfume from the lilac blossoms blowing in the breeze. I stopped at the outdoor market in town, and then at a little cafe where I sat gazing out the window at King's College chapel sipping hot chocolate and feeling like the luckiest girl alive...

3 Comments:

Blogger KW said...

Hi Melanie!
Glad to hear you are enjoying the spring:)
Yes, the choral music is beautiful. I've always
wanted to go to the famous Christmas Eve
service until a couple years ago, we walked by
there the day of the service and saw the longest
line I have ever seen anywhere! Some people camp
out the night before in fact!

love,
Karena

2:59 PM  
Blogger drewey fern said...

Karena, that English influence is getting to you - you sound downright poetic! I love it. Next time I make a pilgrimage to England, perhaps I'll schedule it for May. It sounds heavenly.

4:35 PM  
Blogger drewey fern said...

Hee hee hee - the funniest thing just happened. I went out into the kitchen and called to Melissa "did you read Karena's post about Spring? It was so beauteous!" Aunt Laura, in a shocked tone, asked "did you just say tedious?" We had a good laugh about that one. "Ya, she kept talking about birds and flowers and stuff, like we've never heard of them..." :)

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter-----------------------------------------------------