Yankee girl in Arthur's court

You can't appreciate home till you've left it, money till it's spent, your wife till she's joined a woman's club, nor Old Glory till you see it hanging on a broomstick on the shanty of a consul in a foreign town. O. Henry Porter 1862-1910, American short-story Writer

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving in the Mother Land

The other day, my American friend Alysia (Lexie's friend Sylvia's mom) told me that there had been a request that we (as the token Americans) come in and give a little 5 minute talk/presentation about Thanksgiving to Lexie's nursery--a group of about 20 kids. We hashed out some ideas, and I ended up writing up 1-2 paragraphs explaining Thanksgiving and its origins. I could have called it:Thanksgiving for Dummies, ah, er, that is, preschoolers. Alysia dropped in to pick up some construction paper to make a couple Pilgrim hats, and a couple Indian headresses. We also decided to bring in some popcorn for the kids to eat. Yes, I did mention that we now call the Indians Native Americans, but partly because there is a big Indian (as in India) population here, and so that clarification was helpful in this case. I kept the whole thing very simple and started out by asking them if they had ever heard of a holiday called Thanksgiving. Then I went on to say that in 1620, some people who we call the Pilgrims sailed from England to America to start a new life there. One of them piped up...What are you doing back here then? No, not really...just trying to spice up my blog.

3 Comments:

Blogger Booker said...

Oh boy, that would have been one smart kid. You would have had to smack him! and that would REALLY have spiced up your post :)

10:14 AM  
Blogger Claire said...

"And then they started throwing things..." to quote an oft-used phrase in the Murray household, when we would go on imaginative story tangents, like the one started on at the end of the main post, and Ryu continued with...

12:10 PM  
Blogger KW said...

Ah yes...I had forgotten all about that phrase...

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter-----------------------------------------------------