Momz in the Hood
I had a fun evening at a progressive dinner last night. It was a great way to catch up with my neighborhood friends, and all proceeds from tickets went to the NCT. To back up a little, let me explain what the NCT is.. NCT stands for National Childbirth Trust, and is a non government supported charity here in Britain whose purpose is to support parents and parents to be from pregnancy through early childhood. There are different branches all over the country, and our local branch decided to hold this dinner to help raise money for the organization.
The NCT holds nearly new sales, helps run prenatal classes, etc...Our local branch has a weekly rota where different people have 'coffee mornings' in their homes every Friday. It's just a chance for moms to get together and chat while their kids play. A great way either meet new people or just keep up contacts with other moms...Last night we started with appetizers at one house--about a 10 minute walk from where we live. Then, the main course was across the street at my friend Sarah's house. Lexie goes to nursery school with her little boy. Then, we had dessert a few blocks away. I even got to meet a new American mom who has been living around the corner from us for 2 yrs!! We'd never met, although I'd heard of her. It's hard to believe that we have not crossed paths, but she is doing a PhD and her kids are in daycare, so she rarely gets out to events...
The NCT holds nearly new sales, helps run prenatal classes, etc...Our local branch has a weekly rota where different people have 'coffee mornings' in their homes every Friday. It's just a chance for moms to get together and chat while their kids play. A great way either meet new people or just keep up contacts with other moms...Last night we started with appetizers at one house--about a 10 minute walk from where we live. Then, the main course was across the street at my friend Sarah's house. Lexie goes to nursery school with her little boy. Then, we had dessert a few blocks away. I even got to meet a new American mom who has been living around the corner from us for 2 yrs!! We'd never met, although I'd heard of her. It's hard to believe that we have not crossed paths, but she is doing a PhD and her kids are in daycare, so she rarely gets out to events...

6 Comments:
Is there any special significance to it being no gov't funded?
No, guess I was just trying to clarify since some charities get govt. help...not really important info for my post though
Are you able to walk to many places cuz they're close by? A progressive dinner sounds fun!
I love community-ish things like that! And hurrah for a fellow American!
Hurrah for Karena's blog! I miss it muchly. Happy Thanksgiving!
Hi everyone!
Hi lori--Yes, the progressive dinner was held at
people's houses who were within walking distance..
Post a Comment
<< Home