Guy Fawkes Day
Today was Guy Fawkes day, and the 400th yr anniversary of the Gunpowder Plot, a conspiracy led by Guy Falkes, to blow up the English Parliament and King James I in 1605. Google it for more detailed info...There are bonfire celebrations all over the country during which they let offfireworks. I can hear them going off as I write, as someone is shooting some off around here. Earlier we could actually see a few from our dining room, as we ate dinner. I read in the paper, that if Falkes had actually been
successful, the resulting catastrophe would have been worse than 9/11!

5 Comments:
They CELEBRATE a terrorist conspiracy??? They made it into a HOLIDAY??? That's just weird. They're strange ones on the other side of the pond!
Actually, I should have mentioned that it's bonfire night, because originally after it happened, and maybe they still do this, people burned effigies
of Guy Fawkes. Guess the idea is to 'celebrate' that he wasn't successful!
How very curious!
I learned all about Guy Fawkes Day from The Secret Seven, a children's series by Enid Blyton. After reading the books I used to always wish I could burn scarecrows. Why is there no Aaron Burr Day or Benedict Arnold Day in the US, I'd like to know?
Oh yeah! Good old Enid:) She wrote the Noddy books too. No wonder kids like him...the name helps:)
Post a Comment
<< Home