Yankee girl in Arthur's court

You can't appreciate home till you've left it, money till it's spent, your wife till she's joined a woman's club, nor Old Glory till you see it hanging on a broomstick on the shanty of a consul in a foreign town. O. Henry Porter 1862-1910, American short-story Writer

Monday, October 31, 2005

Suffer the little trick or treaters

A few doors down, across the street one lone plastic pumpkin stood guard. This afternoon, I sat and carved a jack-o-lantern while Lexie watched, and 'helped'. I lit a candle inside, and put him outside our door as it started to get dark. Then I saw two young boys--maybe 5 or 6 running around in the street with some sort of costume on. One of them came over and paid me a huge complement. He informed me that they had been patrolling the street for pumpkins, and mine was the only 'proper pumpkin' he'd seen yet. They'd seen the plastic one, but that one didn't count, I guess. I felt a strange sense of accomplishment, as I realized I'd done the children of Newnham proud. Later, I saw 2 more 'proper pumpkins'. After seeing that we were ready with halloween treats, the little boy then told me that they were waiting for their friends before they started making their rounds. I had dressed Lexie up in a fairy costume, and she stood at the door, yelling after them to come get special treats. But alas, the festive mood was not to last, or well, I guess in a way it was, if you consider the festival, and keep reading. I left the door a little ajar, with some treats next to it, so that Lexie could give them out when the kids came. LIke an idiot, I thought it would be a great plan for her to be entertained and help me out. Then, I went to the kitchen (which is in view of the front door) to feed Arthur. Then came the first knock, and Lexie went to the door, candy in hand. From the kitchen, I then saw her run quickly and silently into the living room, and assumed she'd been overcome with shyness, so I came to the door to her rescue. Then the howls began, like someone being stung by a bee, and I soon realized that she had been stricken dumb ( at first) with terror. There at the door, were 3 small trick or treaters, who almost had me spooked! One was draped in black, and I couldn't even see their eyes.

Yes, Hardwick Street is not for the faint hearted on Halloween night. A ghost mask that looks like "The Scream' by Munch seems to have been a popular choice this year! There was one group of kids who, when I opened the door, commenced singing, "We wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas, etc...and a Happy Halloween". "That's a new one", I said. By the end of the night, we must have had at least 60 and easily more...I finally had to put up a sign saying "All out of sweets, sorry". Candy is an American word....

4 Comments:

Blogger Claire said...

What fun to read your account of Halloween and compare notes. I did a couple of jack o'lanterns too...although I didn't get much feedback about them...Oh well. Speaking of Christmas mixed with Halloween, when I said "Happy Halloween" last night to one little boy, he corrected me by saying that it should be "Merry Halloween." Whatever.

By the way, Happy Birthday to Lexie! My birthday card is going to be late...I hope to send it off today if I can figure out where the post office is around here! Give her a hug from her old Aunt Claire...

7:57 AM  
Blogger Booker said...

was it a cool jackolantern? cause you should post a pix if it was :)

3:09 PM  
Blogger KW said...

No, it was pretty boring and
slap dash actually:) Wish it had
been a bit more exotic...will try to put a pic up soon...

3:18 PM  
Blogger Loreo said...

It wasn't an exotic pumpkin cuz it was too busy being "proper," right? :)

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter-----------------------------------------------------