Yankee girl in Arthur's court

You can't appreciate home till you've left it, money till it's spent, your wife till she's joined a woman's club, nor Old Glory till you see it hanging on a broomstick on the shanty of a consul in a foreign town. O. Henry Porter 1862-1910, American short-story Writer

Saturday, November 26, 2005

A pox be on you, lady

We were out earlier and the kids fell asleep in the stroller so we decided to keep walking into town. After a while, Lexie woke up and had a meltdown or 2, and Arthur woke up too, and wasn't too happy. He kept losing one of his socks and shoes, and it started raining so there were some moments of pure irritation...On the way home, Lexie started kicking up a huge fuss again. Guess I would be a bit ornery too if I had chicken pox in my mouth.

...Anyway, as the her ruckus reached a crescendo, we passed one older well dressed woman who slowed down and looked up at Charlie, and then at me, as if she was about to ask something. I kind of thought...oh no what does she want. Then she had the nerve to say "She's cold", with a look of pity on her face as if she was doing her duty telling us young folks to take better care of our poor suffering child. "On the contrary, madame, if you will take a closer look you'll see that she is extremely well wrapped and good thing too as you might not like to ACTUALLY see her face" Wish I had said it now ...one of those things where you think of some very choice comments after the heat of the moment passes. The nerve, and utter stupidity of the comment actually makes me laugh now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Booker said...

hmm, can anyone jump on this "give advice to the parents" bandwagon? Cause I have to say, I have come to the conclusion[with my indepth studies and analysis's, lol] that kids as a whole would be better off if they ate more chunky peanutbutter.

on a serious note, "inside" her mouth? ahhh, poor kid...

7:23 AM  
Blogger Claire said...

Chicken pox? Argh!

I know what you mean about the perfect rejoinders coming to you too late...Rrrr...

12:44 PM  
Blogger Loreo said...

Just what you need when your blood pressure is elevated because of an upset, crying child--a stranger butting in. Hmphhh!!!!! A pox indeed!

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter-----------------------------------------------------