Yankee girl in Arthur's court

You can't appreciate home till you've left it, money till it's spent, your wife till she's joined a woman's club, nor Old Glory till you see it hanging on a broomstick on the shanty of a consul in a foreign town. O. Henry Porter 1862-1910, American short-story Writer

Friday, August 19, 2005

A dose of Americana

Home again...What a workout of a trip..Atlanta, Nashville, Sea Island, NH, then Atlanta again... but it was of course worth it in the end. The evening that we arrived home, Lexie went to bed at 6pm and slept until 1pm the next day! Talk about a record!

America is indeed fat and flourishing. It is interesting to observe things about your country after being away from it for a length of time. You notice that people's clothes are much more colorful and varied, are reminded how fantastic the shopping is, and the food....I could go on and on. When I come back, even the most mundane trip to the grocery store makes me feel like a kid in a candy shop. Hmmmm, which aisle shall I torture myself by walking up and down first? Shall I buy Reese's cups, or chocolate covered pretzels, sure would be nice to pick up some Wheat Thins or Graham crackers....and on and on. All this could be mine if I only lived in America.

In trips to other shopping meccas like Walmart, or Bob's, I managed to find myself a Red Sox t-shirt and Arthur now owns a Red Sox warm up suit:) Speaking of baseball, Lexie and cousin Charlie got to go to a Braves game while in Atlanta! Of course our real loyalties lie with the World champs, but once in a while, it's ok to cheer for those less fortunate.

More simple pleasures while at home, included my annual treat of malted milkshakes, rootbeer, and of course Dunkin' Donuts coffee. Forgot to look for curly fries though....oh well...maybe next summer. Another minor thing--it was positively exciting to do laundry and hardly realize that I had in fact done so. Our small washer here takes between 2-3 hrs to do just one small load, and then we hang it all up on clothes racks as our place doesn't have that clever invention known as the dryer. What will they think of next?

9 Comments:

Blogger Claire said...

Wow...it's amazing to think that there is so much that I take for granted here. 2-3 hours to wash a load of laundry?? I would go crazy!

It was good to have you here. I'm glad you're home safe. Post some pics soon! Did any of Lexie gathering eggs come out okay?

3:03 PM  
Blogger KW said...

Yes, they came out great!
Alas, there is a slight technical complication
getting photos posted to my frustration. I really
want to, but it will take a while. Hey, I could send you
some to post?

3:05 PM  
Blogger ljm said...

Ah, I can attest to the awfulness of Karena's laundry set-up...I could NOT believe how long the washer droned on and on. And draping wet clothes around the house...it does become a major project.

I'm sure it is nice to be back home though.

MORE PICS!

4:50 PM  
Blogger brilynne said...

At least you have a lower energy bill....

Twas lovely to see you guys! Glad to hear you are home safe and sound.

7:19 PM  
Blogger KW said...

I did realize later, that 2-3 hrs is totally wrong. I
think it may be under an hr or maybe just 1 hr....

3:19 AM  
Blogger Loreo said...

Where do you live? And do you have a vintage washing machine or something? Our plumbing is bad, and so we have to lift the lid on each load to prevent the floor being flooded. Lift when you see bubbles at opening of pipe, lower lid till bubbles appear, repeat. We do this after the soapy water drains and after the rinse water drains. Have had it fixed twice, but it needs something bigger for a fix obviously. Can't you get a drier, dear?

12:05 PM  
Blogger KW said...

My dear Lori:)

We live in the quaint city of Cambridge England, where space is at a premium! Arthur's room is not much bigger than a walk in closet, and we have hardly any space for storing extra stuff as there are no such things as closets in these old houses. If we had ROOM....oh that we had it...we would most certainly have a drier.

11:55 AM  
Blogger KW said...

ah yes...the washing machine..it is not vintage. It is oh so very modern...small and modern that is. So small that it lives in our kitchen (where most people have them in this country). Fits right along side the dishwasher as it's not much bigger than that. Spare a thought for your old friend next time you lift that soapy lid...

11:58 AM  
Blogger lis said...

Yes, yes: I know those cute little European washers: they have them in Israel, too. Whatever were they thinking? Ours broke every time we overloaded it (and it was tiny to begin with), necessitating several days wait until the repairman meandered down our way.

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter-----------------------------------------------------