Yankee girl in Arthur's court

You can't appreciate home till you've left it, money till it's spent, your wife till she's joined a woman's club, nor Old Glory till you see it hanging on a broomstick on the shanty of a consul in a foreign town. O. Henry Porter 1862-1910, American short-story Writer

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Christmas musings

I heard a Christmas reading at an Advent service about 7 years ago which moved me and has stuck with me ever since. Here is the main idea: God chose Winter, the bleakest, darkest season of the year to send Jesus to earth. All of nature was asleep or dead. It is typical of the way God works in terms of irony. The King of Glory comes to earth-not in a burst of glory, or to a palace, but in obscurity, within a damp, smelly, animal shelter, and in winter. So it is that Jesus comes into our lives when we feel the bleakest, and most desperate. When things are worse than they've ever been, hope has died, and we have noone else with solutions, He suddenly appears, in the cold and in the dark. Later it was in the Spring, a time of rebirth, when Jesus was crucified. Just as the birds were starting to sing, and new life was blooming, Jesus died and was put into the grave. Just when we finally thought we could hope again. What a time of year for life to end...but it was not the end. Then, and only then, did God have the last word. And today, like then, we can have Hope, because He came to turn despair, and death and darkness on its head. I'm thankful for His indescribable gift....

5 Comments:

Blogger drewey fern said...

Amen! So good, Karena. Thanks!

3:03 PM  
Blogger Mrs. RF said...

Amen..I too am so thankful...His gift is indeed indescribable.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Loreo said...

It's good to read your voice again, Karena. If I hadn't lost my address book, I'd send you a Christmas card. So if I get one from you, then I'll return the favor, with family pics. We have some King's Singers music, too, although not Christmas. Love you!

3:08 PM  
Blogger melrandall said...

Thanks for sharing this, Karena. Good, true stuff.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Merry Christmas!!!

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter-----------------------------------------------------