Yankee girl in Arthur's court

You can't appreciate home till you've left it, money till it's spent, your wife till she's joined a woman's club, nor Old Glory till you see it hanging on a broomstick on the shanty of a consul in a foreign town. O. Henry Porter 1862-1910, American short-story Writer

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Fruit or vegetable?


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

22 Comments:

Blogger ljm said...

What IS that thing?

3:29 PM  
Blogger brilynne said...

Is it a vegetable marrow? Paddington Bear's neighbor grew them, but I have never found out what they are. They seem vaguely English, so that's my guess.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

a parsnip?

6:30 PM  
Blogger ljm said...

the queen's tooth?

6:53 PM  
Blogger melrandall said...

"Parsnips a plenty?"

or perhaps a rutabaga?(I'm pretty sure rutabagas are white, but I just like using the word rutabaga)

8:56 PM  
Blogger KW said...

I'm going to keep you all guessing for a while, to see if I can get more than 10 comments, as that will be a record.....

10:55 PM  
Blogger the Joneses said...

I'm guessing it's a vegetable. Hmmm. How about a "black-pepper cabbage?"

--DJ

6:27 AM  
Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

I don't reckon I ever saw such a critter before! Ummm---could it be something from the onion family?

6:44 AM  
Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

...or maybe a large Rose Hip???

6:45 AM  
Blogger Loreo said...

DING DING DING!!! I'm number 10, and I say dragon fruit!!?? Do I get free tickets, confetti, and noisemakers!?

12:11 PM  
Blogger Mrs. RF said...

Maybe it is some sort of fruit- that would be my guess.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

i could have done a google image search and figured it out, but that would have been cheating. I have noooo clue.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I've eaten one of those before!! But it was in Israel and probably the only name I heard was in Hebrew (can't even remember that now). Weird.

9:06 PM  
Blogger KW said...

DRUMROLL, PLEASE..........

I DECLARE LORI The Winner!!

Wish I had a real life prize fer u...

Have you had one before, Lori?

11:30 PM  
Blogger KW said...

(A dragon fruit that is)

11:31 PM  
Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

What family does a Dragon Fruit come from? ...is it one of a kind? What does it taste like?

5:48 AM  
Blogger Loreo said...

Karena, I haven't had one before. Apparently, those buggers are something one can find in the U.K. more than here. Maybe you can send me one for my prize! Hee heee!

11:57 AM  
Blogger KW said...

They have a tiny bit of the texture of a kiwi, but are not really juicy and don't have much flavor. Not acidic tasting...mostly chewy.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

Weeeeird! Draygon froot, eh? Never hoyd of it.

Oh my word, Liane- the Queen's tooth.

2:02 PM  
Blogger the Joneses said...

Darren told me I had to come over here and see your picture series, especially the weird fruit, which he wouldn't reveal the name of. At least I guessed it was a fruit, but I've never heard of it. I love the pantry shots, meanwhile.

-- SJ

12:57 PM  
Blogger KW said...

glad you enjoyed them:)

1:29 PM  
Blogger lis said...

It's a fruit! Katie and I saw it in the shuk once in J'lem, and tried it. Weird. Bland. Thanks for the name, since I had no clue!

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter-----------------------------------------------------